Thursday, May 14, 2009

My Prayer For You; My Prayer To You.

Let your soul be opened to the majesty dwelling within

Let your heart savor their soothing essence

And your spirit quake with sweet laughter and salty tears

At the colors and sounds and shapes they breathe

Dear child, rejoice in these unfathomable gifts of words

Gifts so tender, yet so violent it shapes your senses

Listen like a sponged basket

Let the good soak into your core, filling its center

Throw the bad away like chaff from a peanut seed.

This is my prayer for you;

This is my prayer to you.


Let your dreams be what all dreams are made of

See with your soul’s eye to mountains unclimbed

Look beyond the mountains, beyond the skies

To someplace we just know by faith exists

Listen to everyone, but do alone

Never run from life

Live each day as important but not urgent

Take your time and taste your red wine

Everything can wait, do not rush through life

For the years are many but the seasons few

This is my prayer for you;

This is my prayer to you.


Take a sip like a lady should

And then once in a while gulp the whole damn thing

Life isn’t always very pretty you know

Wear high-heeled boots and push up bras

God knows you’ll need them enough

Yet never let go of those braless days

When you walk barefoot on sandy grounds

I wish you girlfriends who will be your rock

Sisters through good and bad seasons

But be ready for painful separations in between

For in those quiet spaces, you will bloom.

This is my prayer for you;

This is my prayer to you.


A great love is great to share your life with

But never entrust your happiness to another

For that is a selfish, selfish thing to do

Everybody is human you know,

Finding their own path back to the creator

We are all called to be witnesses

Of the awesomeness of the light in us

So know that your knight in shinning armour

Also needs you to rescue him back.

Let your joy come from a place within

Nurtured by only God, only God

Everyone else is simply to remind you of his glory.

This is my prayer for you;

This is my prayer to you.


I see a beautiful life before you, dear child

Roads not yet traveled, paths of glory

And I see you now beautiful with the wrinkles of life

Perched over your daughter and granddaughter,

Writing beautifully crafted words to them too

Oh, dear child, you make me so proud by simply being

You are my best gift to world…

© ‘Kego Onyido

3 comments:

  1. To The Queen and my Biafran sister,

    Congats on your debut! You know how much I already luv, admire, and respect you. You just gave me another reason. Keep writing - you sure are blessed!

    Ngobabe

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful poem! I loved every line. It should be made into a song. It is also my prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice piece of poetry. It speaks to the heart...
    Glad I stumbled on here. Good job!

    ReplyDelete